Medieval Tool & Furniture Art on the Web
"The Holy Family with Angels," Unknown German Artist, c. 1410, presently at the Staatliche Museen in Berlin
Mästermyr Image Library - Illustrations of the artifacts from the Mästermyr Find. Includes an axe, adzes, drawknife, small saw, and augur bits
The Bayeaux Tapestry - The shipbuilding scene from the Bayeaux Tapestry. Includes several different axes and an augur.
St. Joseph in his workshop - From Robert Campin's "Merode Altarpiece", c.14??, presently at the Cloisters in New York.
The Mendel Hausbuch - Illustrated pages from the Hausbuch of the Mendelschen Zwölfbrüderstiftung in Nuremburg. The pages date from 1425 to 1544 and depict a variety of craftsmen at their trades. The woodworkers are listed under "Holzverarbeitung".
Other illustrations that may be useful:
- Noah's Ark, building the ark (11th century bronze door; S. Zeno, Verona) -- trimming axe
- Life of St. Alban, 12th century, Matthew of Paris -- trimming axe
- Vignette depicting the guilds of wheelwrights and coopers, Bourges, 13th century -- trimming axe
- The Expectant Madonna with Saint Joseph, 15th century France
- Noah Building the Ark, Breviary of Martin of Aragon, 15th century -- he's hammering some nails
- The Holy Family with Angels, 1410 -- visible items include a mallet and a workbench
- Building of the Ark (also here and here), from the Bedford Book of Hours, 1423 -- lots of tools in use
Author Joins Other Laborers in the Castle of Work" from
La Voie de Povreté ou de Richesse (Le Livre du Chastel
de Labour) by Jacques Bruyant, 1430-40, Workshop of the
Bedford Master -- enlargement available
- Resurrection of the Boy (a two-man saw is slightly easier to see in this detail) by Domenico Ghirlandaio, 1482-85
- Noah and his sons building the Ark (or here) by Raphael, 1508 -- shows a framesaw, an axe, and several other tools.
- Prudence by Pieter Bruegel the Elder, 1559
- Adoration of the Shepherds by Caravaggio, 1609
- Christ in the Carpenter's Shop by Georges de la Tour, 1645
Contents © 2002 Gary R. Halstead